While an addiction to any substance can wreak significant havoc on your life, there are certain drugs that have qualities that make beating addiction especially difficult. What are the top 5 most addictive substances? And, more importantly, where can you learn more about addiction recovery in New Hampshire? Keep reading to find out.
The 5 Most Addictive Substances on Earth
- Nicotine: Nicotine is the highly addictive substance that is found in tobacco products, and is the most common addiction in the United States.
- Barbiturates: Also known as downers, bars, blue bullets, gorillas, nembies, pink ladies, and a variety of other street names, barbiturates are typically used to treat anxiety and induce sleep.
- Cocaine: Cocaine reacts with the brain’s dopamine levels and prevents neurons from running the “feel good”” signal off, which results in an abnormal activation of the brain’s reward pathways. An estimated 21% of people who try cocaine will become addicted.
- Alcohol: Addiction to liquor, beer, or wine can have countless extremely negative effects on the mind and body, many of which are irreversible. In fact, this legalized substance kills more than 3 million people every year.
- Heroin: Heroin is an opiate that has an alarming rate of addiction, with one in four people who try it becoming addicted. Heroin isn’t only highly addictive, it’s extremely dangerous as well. The dose that can cause death is only five times greater than the dose needed for a high.
Where Can I Learn More About Addiction Recovery in New Hampshire?
Do you want to learn more about addictions, addiction recovery in New Hampshire, and getting and staying sober? Then contact us. Here at New England Recovery and Wellness, we understand the varied roads to recovery and the challenges presented to an individual throughout their journeys. Fill out your information online for immediate assistance today.