When you imagine a drug addict, chances are that you picture a man. However, men are not the only people who get abuse drugs, women do too. Keep reading to learn some shocking facts about women using drugs in the United States. Then, if you or a loved one is suffering from a drug addiction, make sure to contact our drug rehab in Connecticut for help today.
11 Shocking Statistics About Drug Use Among Women in the U.S.
- More than 9 million women abuse illicit drugs every year.
- Women in their thirties with IQs between 107 and 150 (the average IQ score is 100) are twice as likely to use illegal substances that those with scores of less than 95.
- 43% of women have experimented with illegal substances.
- On average, women take 40% more prescription drugs and 50% more narcotic pain relievers than men.
- An average of 221,000 women use illicit drugs while pregnant a year.
- In a recent study, one-third of pregnant women tested positive for drugs. 74% were smoking pot, 20% were using opiates, and 6% were using methadone.
- Use of illegal drugs during pregnancy can result in miscarriage, low birth weight, premature labor, placental abruption, fetal death, maternal death, and more.
- More than 28,000 of the AIDS cases among women are drug-related.
- Women are arrested for drug-related crimes four times more than for violent crimes.
- 2/3 of women in federal prison are doing time for drug-related charges.
- 80% of women in state prison have a substance abuse problem.
Contact Our Drug Rehab in Connecticut to Learn More
Want to learn more? Our drug rehab in Connecticut can help. Contact New England Recovery and Wellness Center today.