The United States is currently in the midst of an opioid epidemic, which has resulted in an overwhelming rise in prescription opioid overdoses and deaths throughout the country. Keep reading to learn some alarming facts about this startling epidemic straight from our opioid rehab in Massachusetts.
7 Facts and Statistics About the Opioid Epidemic
- Around 2 million people are addicted to prescription opioid painkillers, which is as many as the number of people who are addicted to meth and heroin combined.
- Around 260 million opioid prescriptions are issued yearly. That’s enough to supply every adult in America with a bottle.
- Vicodin, Percocet, Fentanyl, and OxyContin are all opioids. They all work via opioid receptors just like heroin, which is an opioid too, and why these pills tend to be gateway drugs.
- Americans currently consume an astounding 80% of the global opioid supply.
- In 2009 one baby every hour was born dependent on opioids, and this rate has only gone up since.
- In less than a decade, deaths from prescription painkiller overdoses have increased more than 400% among women and 265% among men.
- Despite the fact that there are effective treatments for opioid addiction and opioid overdose, only about 10% of those who need it are getting it.
Contact Our Opioid Rehab in Massachusetts in Learn More
If you or a loved one are suffering from an addiction to opioids, our opioid rehab in Massachusetts can help. Here at New England Recovery and Wellness Center, we can help you navigate your treatment and recovery options. Contact our experienced team for immediate assistance today.